Tuesday, August 25, 2009

About My Peace Pilgrimage

Now is a critical time in human history. We are faced with a global crisis that threatens to drive our species into extinction. It’s only been recently that the governments of our world have admitted that global warming is real and that potentially destructive climate changes loom ahead in the near future, as well as food and water shortages and vast species extinction.

Ethno-botanist Terence McKenna once said, “We have the money, the power, the medical understanding, the scientific know-how, the love and the community to produce a kind of human paradise.” The resources are there. We simply need to agree, as a collective, that it’s time for a change.

In order to do that, we need to stop killing each other.

We are all living on the same planet, and the situation that we’re in is like a ship about to sail over the edge of a waterfall. Instead of working together to steer the ship away from danger, the crew members are murdering each other for control of the helm, and at the same time drilling holes into the bottom of the boat.

*********

(The information in the following paragraph comes from www.peacepilgrim.com)

“From 1953 to 1981, a woman calling herself only “Peace Pilgrim” walked more than 25,000 miles on a personal pilgrimage for peace. She had no material possessions except for what she could carry in her pockets. She vowed to ‘remain a wanderer until mankind has learned the way of peace, walking until given shelter and fasting until given food.’ In the course of her 28-year pilgrimage she touched the hearts, minds, and lives of thousands of individuals all across North America. Her message was both simple and profound. It continues to inspire people all over the world.”

“This is the way of peace,” she said. “Overcome evil with good, falsehood with truth, and hatred with love.”

Her message has inspired me as well. On Saturday, August 29th, I will be going on a pilgrimage for peace, walking across the United States from Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware to San Francisco, California.

Like the original Peace Pilgrim, I will wear a blue shirt that reads “PEACE PILGRIM” on the front and “WALKING COAST TO COAST FOR PEACE” on the back. I will be carrying only a toothbrush, a pen, small notepad, cards with my contact information (for correspondence), a map and compass. I am not affiliated with any organization, or religious group, and I will not accept money. I will walk until given shelter and fast until given food.

My goal is to come into contact with as many people as I can and exchange ideas with them about the types of peaceful methods that can be implemented to resolve the conflicts that threaten to rip our world apart. I will also be using this walk as a prayer exercise, to lift up my thoughts toward the Divine and send out my best wishes for the people that I’ve come to know and love, and for planet Earth.

I hope to keep this blog fairly updated, but that will depend on how often I have access to the internet.

If you have any prayer requests, please feel free to write me at peacepilgrim2009@gmail.com.

6 comments:

  1. Dude,you are awesome.Please look me up when you get to Sedona,Flagstaff,Cottonwood,Verde Valley Arizona & I will take good care of you.Peace Pilgrim is the greatest human being that ever lived for me.She is my religion,my everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I send you positive thoughts and energy. And I am most inspired by your choices. It certainly forces one to raise their awareness. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few quotes to take with you, Peace Pilgrim:

    “Humanity can only improve as people improve. When you have improved your life, you can inspire those around you to want to improve their lives. Remember that a few in harmony with God's will are more powerful than multitudes out of harmony." -- Peace Pilgrim

    And now a couple of my favorite quotes from Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. - a contemporary (and close friend) of Emerson and Wadsworth Longfellow:

    “The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of bigger ideas, never returns to its original size.”

    “Every calling is great when greatly pursued.”

    and finally:

    “Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts.”

    Peace be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to meet you and good luck with your journey!
    We hope you enjoyed the carrots and apples.

    Best
    Mike & Ariela.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike and Ariela,

    The carrots and apples were amazing. Much needed. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete